Monday, March 4, 2013

How To: Spring Lawn Wreath



Spring is almost here and it is time to take down any remaining holiday decorations that have managed to stay on display and replace them with fresh springtime decor! As I'm sure all cold-climate dwellers are, I am ready for the warmth of the sun and the colors of life to brighten my days. I have been thinking about dressing up my patio with flowers and new cushions which I will have more on later. Today I'll show you an instructional on how to make a wreath that looks like a lawn of flowers sprung up around it.


First, you'll need to gather your supplies. 
  • Indoor/outdoor carpeting that looks like grass
  • Scissors
  • Wreath
  • Fake Flowers
  • Hot glue gun and sticks

This is a pretty cheap craft to make as most of it can be purchased from the dollar store! In total, I spent approximately $10.61 on everything I didn't already have on hand. How much fake grass you'll need will depend on the size of your wreath. I used an 18" wreath from Dollar Tree, but they do have smaller ones. I used about 6 1/4 square feet of the carpet for this project, but purchased more for another project I'll be starting soon. The Menards in Richfield was having a grand opening sale and I got the carpeting for .29/sq ft. You can get a wide variety of fake flowers from Dollar Tree. I purchased the big daisies from Michaels because they were better looking than the dollar store flowers, but the smaller ones from the dollar store looked just fine and I used those as fillers. When I bought the daisies from Michaels, they were 40% off and I decided on the larger arrangement to get more bang for my buck as well as a variety of colors. These flowers were the most costly item on my list.



After you have everything you'll need, pull off all of the flower heads (and leaves if you'd like to use them in your design.) If you have kitties, they will probably love helping with this project! My cats love the grass to sit on and scratch so I think I'll come up with a little something for them with what I have left after my other project! Little Basil (in the computer) is feeling spring fever more than anyone else in our home and wants to get out on the balcony to watch squirrels and traffic.


Then you'll cut strips of the carpet that fit around the wreath.  (Sorry, I didn't get a picture of this part.) I cut the strips approximately 7 inches wide- try it out before cutting or gluing. Once cut, lay out the length horizontally and wrap around the wreath like a tube, putting hot glue on the wreath and sticking the back side of the carpet to it. Do this in small increments as hot glue dries quickly. I glued down the entire length of the bottom half of the strip first, then went back and glued down the top side. Glue down any excess carpet and then you're ready for flowers!


I suggest putting all the flowers where you want them before gluing them down just in case you'd like to change anything. You might want to cut off the little tube on the back of the flowers to get them to lay flatter on the wreath. Once you have everything where you want it, glue the flowers down one at a time, being careful not to knock off the unglued ones.


And there you have it- a fresh spring wreath to welcome your visitors! I hope you have fun with this craft. Be creative and if you're somewhere warm, send some my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment