Saturday, November 28, 2015

Recent Roundup


I have been cleaning, putting, and organizing since we got married on Halloween. I am sooo over it! Since our week off was dedicated almost entirely to getting our new booth setup, I wasn't able to put the decorations away. I decided that I'd just switch out Halloween for Christmas in an effort to do less exchanging of seasons, but I don't think it ended up being any less work. I felt like I was living in a hoarder nightmare! But with Thanksgiving behind us, all that's left is to decorate the tree. We got a real tree today! More on all that in another post. For now I want to get caught up on some recent finds.


We had another great bakelite haul! So much amazingness for so little! My favorites are the red prystal UFO, the red bookend match set, and the green one that I'll show a closer look next. Each one or group was so cheap I could resell and make a tidy profit, but I can't pick any that I'd like to live without, so for now they stay in the keepsies pile. I definitely need a new display rack for all my beauties!




It pairs perfectly with the red bookends for a Christmas stack!




The set of winking Santas on the left side was at my main thrift... and I paid out the nose for them because I just couldn't leave them behind :( The cookie jar is also new from the same trip to an occasional as the Bakelite. I got it thinking I could let it go, but now that it has made its way into a display I'm not sure of that.


The ornament and the deer came from the occasional as well. The mug I picked up during the sale at our shop because how can you work without shopping? It's Hazel Atlas. There was also one with a blue design, but I thought the black looked nicer and it was much more than I usually spend on mugs with a firm price. Maybe I'll find it in the wild someday.


Bad picture, but I was so excited to spot these in the case at the thrift store! It was marked more than the retail price printed on the sheet, but I've always regretted not buying these when they were being sold at the post office, so I'll take it!


I got a gift certificate to an antique store for Christmas last year and didn't know that the store had changed a lot since I'd last been. I could never find anything to spend it on. Until our last trip! I picked up a vintage spinner ornament, a Scarlet O' Neil Better Little Book, a mica reflector ornament, and a set of six Bakelite scottie napkin rings with working wheels and all their eyes in tact!!! The rings were a steal!

BJ found me a jadeite batter pitcher for a reasonable price, but definitely higher than it should be at a thrift store. I found a lucite Mickey Mouse pin for just .79 along with a vintage hand mirror and comb brooch, a cat watch brooch, and a brooch with a woodland scene. I also picked up a green bakelite spacer when it finally hit half off day because they price them crazy. Right now there is a bangle they obviously think is Bakelite, but definitely is not, for $27.49 or something around there. They also have one of the reddish orange tubes that I picked up for around $3 or so last month priced at almost the same price. Nutty.

Last time we went to the shop to clean up I found three Santas that were too weird and wonderful to leave behind. One is playing volleyball or something, another is rappelling with gifts floating on his back, and the best is chatting on his jeweled phone!


His rocking chair has gems and he looks like a teenage girl saying, "No way. No. Way. NOOOO WAAAYYY!!!!"


Black Friday wasn't good to us this year. It wasn't worth waiting in any lines, so we didn't. Except the checkout at Joann's. Luckily we had few enough items to sneak through the express cutting counter. Those ladies are serious! I picked up a couple strands of glass garland at an occasional. I love the big beads! I also got another flocked Santa, a plastic deer, and a couple of bump chenille/ mercury bead doodads that I'll craft into something. I left behind a lot of knee huggers, but maybe we'll go back because I was told there would be more vintage Christmas.

I'm sure there is plenty that I left out, but chances are that it was Christmas and you'll see it when I share my decorations this year. It feels particularly vintage-y and magical in here and I can't wait to finish up the tree!  Check back soon for more awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment