Thursday, January 21, 2016

Vintage Secret Santa 2015


This is obviously old news, but I haven't shared for a while because things have been crazy and I have to catch up. This year I participated in a vintage secret Santa gift exchange. I was really excited mainly about buying vintage things for someone else. I LOVE collecting for other people almost as much as a love collecting for myself. This may or may not be appreciated by people because I tend to go overboard and that isn't everyone's style. When I got my match I was a little disappointed because she likes really old antique to 40's with an emphasis on art deco. We got matched because we both enjoy bakelite I'm assuming. Coming from the world of 50's-60's kitsch, I was worried that I wouldn't do a good job. On top of that she is a self proclaimed vintage snob. I'm quite sure that I was setup for failure. I eagerly shopped and spent a bit more than the required minimum to try to make it extra special. I tried to hit most areas of interest for her. I didn't get any bakelite because it was dry here in that department at the time and prices are generally quite high even at the thrift store. I usually have to wait until half price day to buy it. P.S. I'm the only one who buys it so they can stop pricing higher and higher each time they get it because unless it is ultra stunning, I'm not paying their price gouging fees. I also didn't take pictures of the actual gifts. I don't know why. 

I bought her a hat, a vintage Anne Klein scarf, two brooches that I felt looked art deco, three old photos, and an antique Christmas postcard. I wrapped it all up and wrote her a hand written note. I was on pins and needles waiting to learn when she received her package and that confirmation never came. It was delivered according to USPS. I just think she didn't like or appreciate anything that I gave her, which is truly a disappointment. Even if I didn't like what my secret Santa sent me (but I did!) I would have at the very least thanked her! I didn't know if I should participate in this because we don't really have a lot of extra money to throw around, but BJ told me I should. I was looking most forward to making someone else happy, but that doesn't seem to have happened. I don't know if the package was stolen and she didn't receive it or if she just hated everything and is too rude and stuck up to show gratitude to someone who did something nice for her. Either way, I'm sad. I certainly didn't go into the exchange thinking that I would be receiving anything expensive or priceless. If those were her expectations then she needs to reevaluate some things. 


I was really worried that I wasn't going to get any acknowledgment for my gift and also not get a gift.  It was a nail biter waiting for it, but it came in time for Christmas! I opened the card when I got it and waited until Christmas day to open the gifts. The card is SOOOOO cute and I'm going to frame it and keep it forever!


My secret Santa was so spot on! I can't believe she sent me bakelite! I really love everything and if I didn't hate Christmas so much after it was finally upon me, I would have rocked those brooches after the holiday was over, but it was a really crappy one this year and I needed to get it all out of my sight. I'm very sad to say that there are still boxes waiting to be put somewhere that is not my living room, but I've been keeping to the bedroom for the most part so it's easy to forget about the cart that is still full of Santas. 

All things considered, I don't know if I want to participate again next year. I'm glad that half of the experience was positive, but there is always the chance that I could be on the non receiving end and possibly also the recipient of no thanks yet again. Luckily I have an entire year to think about it.

I'm trying to resume normality after everything that's been going on. There are just a few more hurdles to cross before the accident ordeal is behind us. For now I'm trying not to punch my computer in the face for crashing Illustrator every time I try to save something and everything I've worked so hard on is lost forever. Let's hope that the second try on this design works!

No comments:

Post a Comment