Friday, October 3, 2014

Tain't No Sin, Take Off Your Skin, and Dance Around in Your Bones


It has been a very gloomy week here. I've been wanting to take pictures for a Halloween house post, but the light just hasn't been right. I've also been waiting for a certain guy to finally take out the recycling that's been piling up over the summer, but since his motto in life is 'I'll do it tomorrow' it still hasn't been done. >_< So I decided to just hide the mess and hope the gloom adds to the spooky ambiance of the decor.
Meet Scary Grant and his cat Bone-aby. He looks a little Trish-ish in BJ's Northstars hat, though. 


I found both of these little pumpkin pails at Arc's for under a dollar each. Goodwill is charging $2+ per pail this year- even if it has someone's name scribbled on in permanent marker. I'm not really sure what they're thinking. People can go to most any big box store and get a brand new one, sans name, for less than that. Also, they way overcharge for blow mold lights as well. I'm sure they think everything might be "vintage" so let's slap a crazy price on it. Black tag items (Halloween) are not eligible for the ReUse coupons from Hennepin County either, so I passed on a cute witch blow mold light that I thought was cute, but didn't want to drop that kind of cash on. I've already overspent on the big outside cat, bleh.


I picked up the pumpkin on the right at Arc's this year as well. I've put my giant color changing ball lights inside of them, but there are two extra lights. I'm trying to find a couple more nice vintage ones to hang on either side with some sticky hooks so that each pail has one light. The others I have are too small to fit the light through the holes.



I've just been having the most awful luck the past couple of weeks. BJ took me out thrifting last night to try and lift my spirits. I happened upon a nice load of old Halloween stuff! I found this cat and some vintage candles and a family of ghosts. I feel bad because I only brought one ghost home.


I also found a  Dept. 56 string of lights with cute little jack o lanterns. One of them reminded me of Halloweentown, which I'm a sucker for of course!


I made a Halloween advent calendar out of playing cards painted with chalkboard paint and glued on googly eyes. It took FOREVER! Last night we (I) were scheduled to paint Pyrex pumpkins. I've been waiting to do this since I saw a picture of this on a blog back in July! I used embroidery patterns from Twin Maples with graphite transfer paper. It worked really well except for all the pressure from my hand holding the pumpkin smeared the graphite all over the pumpkin. Luckily I had a fancy graphite eraser that picked up a lot of it, then I tried washing it with warm soapy water which didn't do much. I decided to break out the Bar Keeper's Friend and that worked! It did take off some of the paint, but the designs look better with a second coat anyway. I used Martha Stewart paints that I found unopened at Arc's on the Labor Day sale for 50 cents a piece!







                                   




TGIF, estate sales tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment