Monday, July 13, 2015

Junking for Our Anniversary



This past Friday was BJ and my 8th year anniversary. He gave me a bangle from Brigther Bakelite a couple of days early because that's when he received it and I guess he couldn't wait. It is so outstandingly beautiful! I sent him links to this one and another one that is orange and reminds me of a koi fish. I ended up ordering the orange one this weekend because I'm so impressed with this green/blue/turquoise/jadeite colored one. I'm a customer for life! I only wish I had more disposable income to buy it all!!!


The bangle might have been a good luck charm because we found a pink daisy divided dish in excellent condition and a red clear bottom bowl! The actual day of our anniversary, we spent most of the day going to all the thrift stores. We came home with a fetus bowl and an 043 golden rosettes (not pictured) from our first stop and the pepper shaker later in the day. Saturday morning we spent much the same way. At our first stop I only found a pair of vintage shoes, but they were half off! Then we decided to visit the Animal Ark and antique stores in St Paul. There was a 75% off sale on shoes and clothing at the thrift store. I walked away with two more pairs of shoes, a sewing notions brooch, and a little deer magnet that was broken so I got it for free.

After that we made our way to the antique mall. This is the same place that I found a Fire King Gazelle bowl for $125. I was astonished to see that it was no longer there. I also found, held, and put back a log slice bakelite cherry brooch! If it hadn't been so expensive, I would be wearing that thing right now. What we did buy was the Hazel Atlas pink elephants ice dish and three little HO scale plastic deer. I need to do some major cleaning before I leave to visit my mom and sister this weekend, so I have already glued them onto my Martha Stewart inspired wreath!


Yesterday was the hottest day so far this year. The humidity was oppressive. It didn't feel terrible when there was cloud coverage, but as soon as the sun came out, it was disgusting and extremely uncomfortable. Our air conditioner is really expensive to run and mostly inefficient since it has to cool too large of a space. Due to this, we spent most of the day out of the apartment. We went and saw Inside Out in the morning. Later we went to the thrift store again and found two Hazel Atlas tea cups, a pink bowl that was half priced which I believe is also HA, a Federal Glass mug, and BAKELITE!!! Damn whoever "appraises" crap at this thrift store. I wish they could have just thought, "oh this is just a plastic bangle, no big deal." But they have to over value every little thing that comes through they're donation door. I'm ashamed that I paid full price for it because I'm positive it would have still been there on half off day. But that would require me to wait 3 weeks. The white one is obviously not bakelite and I wouldn't have bought it had it not been part of the 4 pack. It does smell under hot water, but I'm not sure what it smells like. I don't know if it is Galalith or what. I do believe it is vintage because it looks exactly like the other slices it came with. At any rate, it wasn't a horrible deal, just not what I think of as thrift store price. I'm working on building candy/harvest corn stacks. Now I just need a yellow and two creamed corn!


I just have to throw this picture in here. We had a picnic on the balcony on our anniversary because it was much too hot to eat in the park. We finished off the meal with this most delicious vegan New York style cheezecake by Daiya. Don't be fooled, it is still a ton of calories! We had another picnic for dinner that night at Lake Harriet before movies in the park. Then we watched Saving Mr. Banks and I managed to only get one mosquito bite! 


I didn't post last week, so here's what I found then. The thrift stores have been light on the good vintage lately. We picked up an opal 023 with lid, a small rooster planter, and a single deer bookend from our most frequented thrift. I also picked up a non-vintage candy corn something. They don't usually put out off-season merchandise so I was surprised to see it. I don't know what it was made to hold because it certainly can't hold much. I just love candy corn and couldn't pass it up. We found a Glasbake casserole with turquoise fruit on it at a Goodwill we don't usually visit. We also picked up the cradle there. Lastly, we found pink dinner and bread plates at the Goodwill near us. Now we have almost complete place settings for one in both pink and turquoise! 

I'm off to clean the apartment on another hot day... I'll be in small town Minnesota starting Thursday, so I'm crossing my fingers I find a ton of good (cheap) junk! 

P.S. Free shipping today only on Spoonflower!!! Perfect time to get your cut-and-sew Pyrex pillows ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment