Saturday, May 14, 2016

Oh My Lanta, or I'm Too Tired to Be Alive


I  have been working six days a week at my seasonal gig. Apparently nobody wants to work at the store I'm at so there is not a lot of help even from the help we do have. So, I've been given 6 days of duty and many more hours than I had ever wanted. I guess I'm grateful for the income, but not for the unrelenting tiredness that accompanies it. We went back into the freezer this weekend and that meant pulling all carts under cover and taking down all the baskets and tomorrow I get to undo all of it- probably by myself... Ugh! So in these last spare moments of freedom, I'm going to attempt to do some kind of recap.


I know I'm lazy and share a lot of photos that I've already posted to Instagram, so if you follow me there, sorry for the repeats. I've had a couple of good Craigslist scores this spring. One of them was actually exceptional stuff, but pricier than I'd normally go. The picture above is my keep pile from that score and there was much much more that headed to the shop. I was able to upgrade my BP 444 and pink 502 while completing my pink fridgies with another 501. My 503 is in very sad condition, so I'm crossing my fingers for an upgrade on that one!


We went down to the Le Sueur swap meet again this year after originally deciding to skip it, but I'm so glad we didn't! I don't have pictures of the rest of the stuff we found, but this red prystal faceted bakelite bangle was one of the last things I found. At $1 it was certainly the best buy of the day and it moved to the head of the class in my collection! I'll have to do a post about my other finds when I have time to take pictures. Sadly, I got no deals on anything else, but they were items that have been wanting so I thought I should make it worth the trip.


I've been looking for a new desk for the longest time, but never find anything I like or want to spend money on. I had found another desk on Craigslist at the same time as this that I would have preferred as it is more of a desk than this, but this one was too perfect to let slip away. It was originally delivered to a residence mere blocks from where I grew up, which is a small town in the middle of nowhere that no one has heard of and people rarely move away from. The most recent owners bought it from a vintage shop in Hopkins, which is where my shop is! It was so meant to be. As much as I crave atomic Mid Century, I just can't help myself with this style. It is already the perfect color and it fits all of the crap I've wanted hidden away, plus has space to display cute things! You can see the red Pyrex ramekin, jadeite canister, and orange 501 I got at the swap meet (which completes my Friendship fridgies-503 also could use an upgrade in this set.)  I also fit in TWO McCoy planters that I found at a thrift store recently! I'll have to take better pictures. 



We hit an epic estate sale that was run by the daughter of the deceased. Those kind of sales can either be high end eBay prices, or so good you feel compelled to buy it all! And I did, except a desk that simply wouldn't fit into the full Jeep. It was a small house with not a lot left, but I found a lot of great stuff to fill my shop and my own overflowing menagerie of junk. I got a tote full of Christmas for $2. A quick peek inside gave me a glimpse of a flocked Santa, which we all know I can't leave behind. I figured for the tote itself and the Santa, it would be worth it, but it was better than I could have imagined! TWO strands of glass garland that are both in great shape, glass horn ornaments, a flocked goose, bird clips-albeit broken, and so much more! I picked up another vintage jelly tote for myself, two yellow metal stands for only 50 cents each (my first finds and my cue to stay), a pink elephant that I will not be sharing with my shop owner, bakelite bar tools, a 475 verde square flowers for 50 cents, and a bunch of smalls. I am using the strainer as a hanging basket for one of my fuchsia plants. I also got a giant lamp that we still haven't taken out of the car. There was a lone lamp shade that was the biggest I've ever seen in my life and I sure wish I could have seen the lamp that it went with because it must have been grand!


We paid for upstairs stuff before going down the basement because we had so much stuff! I got a great garbage can that I hope to use as an umbrella holder or something in my someday home. I also found a turquoise wooden handled weed picking tool and a hanging basket watering bottle that I hope works. The shelf is really what made the sale though! It was $3 and took a lot of work to get off the wall. The screw was rusted into the concrete block, but with a little work, we were able to pull it through the hole. As you can see there was already a second hole, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm so in love with this piece and I can't wait to see where it hangs in my someday home! For my sanity, I really hope it isn't too far off. 


BJ came around the corner with a shopping cart at the thrift store on Thursday. We normally don't use carts except for at the Co-op, and that day we both got one! I was thrilled to see that he found the rest of the Spring Blossom 470s that I needed to complete my set. While this pattern gets a bad rap for being so common and a somewhat unflattering shade of green, it holds a special place in my heart because it was the first dishes pattern than we decided on when we started upgrading to adult living together. So after we found the Big Bertha, I decided to take all my SB off the shop pile, and add back into my own collection. The measuring cup I found says that it is for general household and photographic use only. I bought it because I thought that was quite interesting that it gives photographic rights right on the product! 


We found a ton of really great bakelite this weekend! It was all very reasonably priced and I just couldn't leave the stunning colors and fun shapes behind! I found two red with black marbling spacers, a flying saucer, a bookend, a squircle, and one that looks just like a slice of pineapple! I also found a couple that match set some pieces I've purchased there before.

BJ and I have both taken off this coming weekend for some garage sale-ing so I'll finally have 3 days off in a row! I'm hoping that I can catch up on some things in the afternoons, so maybe I'll actually get around to taking those pictures I talked about! With that, I'm off to bed so I can wake up and rehang a million baskets.

No comments:

Post a Comment